Sunday, January 4, 2009

Happy New Year!

On New Year's Eve we travelled to Tokyo so my sister in law could spend New Year with her parents there. It's a big family holiday for Japanese people. It was fun to see a bit of Tokyo. We didn't get any pictures cause we were in the van the whole time, but it seems to be a pretty cool city. It was really fun to look out the window and watch the crowds.

My sister in law's parents bought some noodles for us to eat. It's a traditional New Year's Eve food, and it was quite tasty!


Fortuantely noodles are easy to eat with chopsticks! I think I got every last one.

Group shot. Nigerians really have far reaching extended families. So, Uche says that my sister in law's parents are his in laws as well as my parents. I guess now I'm related to people from 3 different continents!

This is the area where we rang in 2009. It's kind of hard to see, but there's a ferris wheel in the background that had a clock in the middle. The white dashes in the middle counted the seconds. So, we counted down and rang in the new year in Yokohama, Kanagawa, Japan, 17 hours ahead of all you west coast Americans.

It was a little brisk, ok, honestly it was freezing!! I borrowed a coat from my sister in law or I would never have ventured out of the car!

Uche sporting a borrowed coat as well.

The group (minus the guy taking the picture).


On New Year's day we went out visiting. We stopped to see a friend who was dressed in traditional Japanese clothing for work. We got some pictures with her; it was a pretty complex outfit.

How boring do my clothes looked compared to her outfit??

1 comment:

mindy said...

Sarah...I love reading your posts from around the globe! Where to next?

happy new year!