Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Our favorite snack currently

That is what a kilo of rambutans look like. They're crazy looking fruit. They're currently in season, so we've been eating them quite frequently.

The picture's a little blurry, but you can see the "hair" that shoots out the sides. The seed is about the size of an almond, so the fruit inside is just a small amount.
Uche is the official breaker open of the rambutans in our family; I can't seem to get them to open. He twists, squeezes and tears it open, and I just take out the tasty fruit inside. The texture of the white part that has the seed in the center is like the inside of a grape, but the taste is not really comparable to something we eat in the States. So, I'll just say that they're very tasty, and you'll have to come visit us to taste one!

That is what a kilo of rambutans look like when the Ajeros are done with them!







1 comment:

Sandy said...

Hi there, I found your blog from going to your profile from comments on the family in Jos, Nigeria.
(We have Nigerians and other African countries represented, along with British fpeople, in our small church in England...our pastor is from Ghana).

I was going to say that your fruits look like Lychees. I looked it up and it is from the same family as Lychees. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rambutan

I am an American married to a Brit who I met when I was on a Missionary Apprenticeship Programme. so, I have been in England 22 years (I say full support and I don't have to go on furlough! LOL)

Are you there doing language school? Or is it sort of a missionary experience programme?
God Bless,
Sandy in the UK
PS I haven't got church stuff on my blog though.