Friday, March 11, 2011

Hiking in Nigeria


Our host here invited me to go on a hiking trip with him and his son's science class. They needed more adults to accompany them because of the security issues in Jos. I was excited to go because I had never hiked in Nigeria before. In fact, most people here don't even know the concept of hiking maybe because everyday they hike... to the river, to the market, to the school etc. Those of us who drive ourselves everywhere are the ones who walk for fun!
We got there only to discover that it wasn't just a normal hike on a trail. People were crawling on all fours just to make it up the hill.
Here's a view from the top of the mountain.

I learned something interested with these fourth graders; that there was a volcanic eruption on the mountain we were on and the next one were going to climb. I never heard there was any volcanic activity in anywhere in Nigeria before. There were the rocks to prove it.

This is the second mountain we climbed.

This is my nephiew, Michael (he came and spent a week with us in Jos) and one of the teachers
celebrating our victory to the top of the two mountains.

I also joined in the celebration.
We later treated ourselves to a suger cane party. I hadn't had a suger cane in a long time so eating this sweet cane was awesome.

No comments: