Friday, March 18, 2011

I've been home for two months

Now that we have been here more than two months, my taste buds have finally adjusted to taste of the food here (isn''t that funny?). Earlier on I noticed that some of the food I used to enjoy and I was looking forward to eating, didn't taste as I expected. It's either that my expectation was too high or that my taste buds had changed. I chose the latter because I've noticed my taste buds have gradually adjusted to the taste of some of the food here.

I'm also glad that coke here isn't as sweet as they are in other places I've been to, including the USA. I know Americans will be surprised to hear this because they also noticed that coke is sweeter in Mexico than in the States. I have concluded that coke is sweet in the USA. But it is sweeter in Mexico. However, it's the sweetest in the Philippines (what happened to "coke is coke everywhere?).

Also I've gotten over the initial shock of eating bread and thinking how weired it taste. It seems like the bakeries here make an extra effort to try to eliminate sugar in their bread. I like that.

I think I'm getting better at speaking or trying to speak the local language here without mixing the words with Tagalog (a Filipino language). Sarah and I have also realized that certain words sound better in Tagalog than in English or Hausa (the language here). The few Hausa language I used to know are gradually coming back and I remember them at random.

I never gave much thought to all these things before, till recently I realized that for the past 14 years, I have spent only one year total in Nigeria! The rest were split between the Philippines and the USA.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that's because you are a Filipino at heart, Uche! ^^-Jeni